Saturday, October 15, 2011

My Bikes are Back from the Shop


I had a tune up done on the road bike and while there I had them change the bar tape to blue. I heard I will be much faster with this tape.

They did a great job cleaning the cassette. It was nasty with gunked up old black grease. I waited too long to get this done. Now its clean and new looking. Shifts like buttah!



And now the ghetto rigid singlespeed conversion.


I call it "ghetto" because I did it for fairly cheap. I got the steel fork off a local bikers' website and the singlespeed conversion was done with a $45 kit. Its not technically true singlespeed because the drops are not horizontal. Therefore it needed a tensioner which you can see here.



Guys in the shop said they loved how this bike came out and had a lot of fun trying it once finished. I agree its a blast and only 23.1 lbs.

3 comments:

  1. Is the front derailleur still functional? If so, what you really have is either a dingle or tringle speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the front is not functional. Its there just to keep the chain from falling off. Also, the big gear is one piece with the cranks so it made sense to leave it all in place. All the shifters and cables were taken off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man. I'm curious as to what your bar tape is and where you got it. It looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete