Thursday, September 8, 2011

Which Bike?

I just noticed the seal leaking on the fork of Jason's old Cannondale. I really like riding this bike on the mellow flat hard-packed dirt trails with Sherri. The fork is not fixable.

Since I wrecked that fork, I have been using my full suspension Specialized below. Its a bit overkill for these mellower trails.


So now I am contemplating a change of some kind. I may replace the fork with a rigid steel fork and also turn the bike into a singlespeed. I figure it would be ridiculously light (about 19-20 lbs.) and really fun to ride. Probably a great workout too.

Or I could scrap the bike altogether and get a really cool steel singlespeed 29er like the Surly Karate Monkey below


2 comments:

  1. Get the Monkey! Or any Steel, rigid 29er mountain bike for that matter. Check out Watson Cycles, this guy Andrew Watson makes Custom 650b frames, a little smaller than a 29er and a little bigger than a 26" wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked up a steel fork for $35 for the Cannondale. I think I will have Sean do the singlespeed conversion. In the meantime I am keeping my eyes open for a used KM. I'll also checkout Watson, thanks Mark!!

    ReplyDelete